BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Exodus

Exodus 4:10-12 (New International Version)

10 Moses said to the LORD, "O Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue."

11 The LORD said to him, "Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the LORD ? 12 Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say."

13 But Moses said, "O Lord, please send someone else to do it."

14 Then the LORD's anger burned against Moses and he said, "What about your brother, Aaron the Levite? I know he can speak well. He is already on his way to meet you, and his heart will be glad when he sees you. 15 You shall speak to him and put words in his mouth; I will help both of you speak and will teach you what to do.


These verses have been the center of my thoughts the past couple weeks. I read them awhile ago and remember thinking how amazing it is that when God called Moses to lead the Israelites out of Egypt, He provided everything that he would need to do it. My thought was that when God calls you to something, He will always give you the means to do it. I've know that thought process for some time now but in reading through the story of Moses and the Israelites for the past few weeks it has really sunk in and that aspect of God's character has really come alive to me through Scripture.

I've read this story many times before but this time it's different. Those verses show how Moses thought he was completely not equipped for what God was calling him to. He questioned God and God was angry with him for even questioning him! How many times does God call me to something and I question him and his purpose? Seriously. Way too often. Even the little things. I far too often hesitate. But I love how God says that he will help him and show him what to say. When God calls us to something, he will never abandon us and leave us to do it on our own. He goes with us and teaches us how he wants it done.

As the story continues, Moses goes to Pharaoh 10 times asking for him to release the Israelites to him. This is no small request. There were 600,000 MEN (not including women and children!!!). This is a TOOONNN of people to move from one place to another. I can't even imagine what they were accomplishing for Pharaoh and what it meant to lose them. But God had a plan. After 10 plagues and Pharaoh's extremely hard heart, he says okay. Moses heads them up and leads them to a better life.

Once they were on their way, God just continues to provide for them so that they may get to the promised blessing of a new land. They come to the Red Sea and God spreads it apart so all 1,000,000+ of them can walk through. There seemed to be barriers and hardships in the middle of their journey, but once again, God promised He would teach them and show them how to go and He did. They get through the Red Sea and are walking through the desert and begin to complain. Having been in Israel, I know that it is hot and dry and I can imagine why they would complain about being miserable. Dehydration is no fun. However, they forgot where they came from and even thought it was better off in Egypt where they had food and water. They forgot where God was taking them and began to wish they were somewhere else. However, STILL God provides. He hears their complaints and sends manna in the mornings and quail in the evenings. Wow. Once again, God provided for them on their way to where they were going. They wanted water...and Moses struck a rock and fresh drinking water comes out. God's presence never left them...a cloud by day and a fire by night. They were surrounded and protected as they continued to the place God was calling them.

This morning I read in chapter 17 about the battle between the Amalekites and the Israelites. The Amalekites came to fight them and Joshua led the battle. Moses went up onto a mountain and stood at the top with the staff that God had given him and as long as his staff was raised toward heaven, the Israelites were winning the battle. If he lowered his staff, they were losing. It even says how they had to put a rock under his arms because they got tired but Moses continued to raise his hands. The Israelites won the battle and I just love verses 15-16:
15 Moses built an altar and called it The LORD is my Banner. 16 He said, "For hands were lifted up to the throne of the LORD."
"The LORD is my Banner"...I've heard that phrase before but never really understood where it came from. I just love that Moses had to physically lift his hands up and that God responded with victory. It made me think about when we lift our hands in worship. We are saying, God give us victory! You are worthy to be praised!! God was with them through it all and knew the purpose that He had for them.

As I just thought through this whole story and all that God has been revealing to me lately through it, I'm just so thankful for a God who is constant and steadfast. I praised God the whole way to work this morning as I reflected on His character and how he revealed himself to Moses. What a joy to know that when God calls us to something, He leads the way. It may not be as big as leading 1,000,000 people through a desert, through a sea and into a new land, but whatever it is....He's the same God who desires to help us and teach us what to do.

0 comments: